Monday, May 16, 2011

Purple Kohlrabi, Yellow Beet & Green Apple Salad, And The Garden



A morning of gardening




Lunch break  



The Inspiration
It was the farmer. When my friend Jayne and I asked how he cooked the kohlrabi he emphatically said, "raw!".  And he offered the same advice about the yellow beet, "raw!". With that, I decided to give it a try and make a raw kohlrabi and yellow beet salad. Although, I have the feeling he meant a pure kind of raw, as in no dressing, naked. Well, I'm not that adventurous and thought it should be dressed.

Farmers' market yellow beet and
purple kohlrabi in need of attention!

Glorious morning sun on sage


Purple Kohlrabi, Yellow Beet, And Green Apple Salad 
I just love this type of food but I do think it takes an acquired taste to enjoy this earthy salad. And sitting down with it beside my garden after a morning of hard work made this salad perfect and maybe even tastier, if only on a psychological level. Since I knew what their reaction would be, I didn't dare offer any to my family later. Which I regret now because I like to have them try new flavors. Sometimes they surprise me. 

To make this salad . . . wash and peel a yellow beet and a purple kohlrabi, and wash a green apple. Slice into thin pieces and in a bowl mix with extra virgin olive oil to coat, then apple cider vinegar, fresh juice from a whole small lemon, chopped fresh sage, salt and pepper - add all to taste as the flavor depends on the size of the vegetables and your taste. Refrigerate covered for about a half hour to let flavors build. Top it over washed red lettuce.


* * *




15 comments:

  1. The salad looks fantastic! The combination of flavours sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your awards, Lin Ann! Well deserved! Actually, I want to pass on another award to you, The Sisterhood Of World Bloggers Award, for being such a good blog friend! Check it out on thispost.
    Best regards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the award..and those pictures are awesome..amazing and delicious looking salad!!!
    Have a happy Monday sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love "raw!" kolrabi, too, and grew it for the time a couple years ago (at my farmer neignbor's suggestion) and I'm a convert! Great colorful salad! (And, yes, great pictures, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh your are good! Do you know I still haven't gotten to my beets?! Tonight (if they're still good). Maybe. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the awards and I have to say I'm so envious about your garden! The salad looks lovely~~~. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lin Ann, congratulations on your well deserved awards! You've come so far as a blogger! What a lovely garden...all I have room for is herbs...and thank goodness I have some sage so I can try your delicious salad. Have a wonderful Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning everyone! I was out and about yesterday so didn't have time to respond on your blogs, but thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. I'll be visiting soon!

    Tina! You are so sweet! I'll be over to pick up my sisterhood award and will share it with the world on my next post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Lin Ann
    Lovely garden. And a great lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This earthy salad looks just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello again :) I wanted to share my post on crispy smashed potatoes with you...my boys just go nuts when I serve them. Not exactly low fat, but very tasty!

    http://thatskinnychickcanbake.blogspot.com/2010/09/crispy-smashed-potatoes.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for sending me the recipe link, Lizzy. I saw it and love the recipe. I know my kids will LOVE it too. I'll let you know when I make them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the photo of muddy boots. Congrats on the blogger award - see you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Felicitaciones por tus premios muy merecidos ,recetas sabrosa,saludables y con productos naturales y frescos,una buena cocinera,cariños y abrazos y bendiciones.

    ReplyDelete