Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I Hope I Can Find The Words

"Butternut squash is a study in contrasts.  Its neck might swoop elegantly away from a gentle swell of belly, or the two parts might squat solidly together like a thick-waisted snowman.  The exterior, a restrained buff to pale apricot color, belies the bright sunset hue of its sweet flesh.  Raw, it's so hard it fights the knife - but cooked, it can yield a puree as smooth and soft as silk."

Did you just think that you entered someone else's blog?  Did you think, what, this can't be Linda?  Well, you're right!  It's not me - it's not my quote.  It was written by Melissa Pasanen in Vermont Life magazine.  I think it's a beautiful description of butternut squash.

In hopes of improving my food writing skills and learning more about culinary history, I'm taking my first food writing class tonight.  I've never taken a writing class before.  Heck, I don't even like writing.  I've never been a good writer, or reader.  But since it's about something I love, food, I'm up for the challenge.

And I figure if it's not meant to be, I can always stick to painting butternut squash.


Wish me luck! 

8 comments:

  1. Sometimes the "paintbrush is mightier than the pen". Although I am so very happy that you are taking a writing course, your paintings and "kitchen creations" are what truly inspire me. You have so many wonderful gifts. You do not need to master everything. Being an amazing Mom, Chef, Painter, Blogger and friend are plenty for this old gal.
    Good luck with your course. Just try not to get to full "of words" that you befuddle your readers and obfuscate the beauty and simplicity of the food offerings you give us each day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sharon, I'll still be me, not too simple, not too fancy, just like my cooking. I'm hoping to just gain more confidence. I did think that description of butternut squash was beautiful, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, Butternut is so sexy the way I read it here. Will pick up a few today!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taking a writing class is such a great idea. Is this class also at Johnson & Wales? I've been looking to do some continuing education to help with my cooking skills, but I just can't seem to find the resources in my area. Good luck with your class!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna, it's at Brown University. But one week we are touring Johnson & Wales. I'm taking a French cooking class this Saturday at J&W - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky you!!! I'd love to take a food writing course...you'll have to share what you learn :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! Writing is just another form of art, and art is what you really excel at-- all forms! Brown has great writing programs, you're going to really enjoy it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Lizzy, I'll definitely share what I'm learning

    Thanks for the encouragement, Jayne!

    ReplyDelete