Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Zucchini Hash

Zucchini season is almost over, at least in my neck of the woods, so I thought I better get this recipe out now!


I said "recipe" but it's not really a recipe. It seems I have an aversion to writing my own recipes, especially when it's something I just whip up. When I get started in the kitchen, it's like I'm in a frenzy. I always think I should write everything down, but I rarely do. I feel it suppresses my creativity. Not that this dish is very creative; it's pretty basic but you know what I mean!  

Zucchini Hash
The ingredients can be changed to suit you and how many you're serving. Here's what I used:

1 large russet potato, or 2 medium, chopped
1 small onion, diced
1 medium zucchini, or 2 small, chopped 
About 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley, loosely packed
Extra virgin olive oil, about 1 tablespoon
Celery seed, a sprinkle or about 1/4 teaspoon (a chopped celery stalk would be fine but I didn't have any)
Pepper to taste

Cut the russet potatoes very thin and chop. Dice onion and zucchini. Saute onion in about 1 teaspoon of olive oil until soft. Remove and set aside. Add a little more olive oil to the pan and saute potatoes until tender. Add onion, celery seed, and zucchini until zucchini is heated through to your liking. I usually don't let zucchini get mushy. Add chopped parsley, pepper to taste, stir, and serve.



I didn't take too many pictures of the process, the kitchen in the cottage we rented was dark. 




* * *

This zucchini hash was made while we were on vacation in July when I was taking a break from my blog. I still remember the flavor, though, and it went well with various dishes that week and even as a snack by itself. It went nicely with our eggs that morning, made a great side dish to grilled steak another night. It can even make a great meal by itself - for a little protein, add your favorite beans or cheese.


We brought our own garden parsley and zucchini to the cottage we rented at the beach, but we're lucky to be near this farm where we bought the russet potatoes and onions, among many other delicious foods that week.


I was also lucky to capture this scene, during a walk one morning, of two cows shading another!


We had great weather.


Enjoyed a full moon over the ocean.


Captured a sunset behind a flag raised for Independence Day.


Went fishing.


Saw Man Of La Mancha at this charming and very professional theatre. Love the little windmills in the flower pots!


And collected sea shells.


21 comments:

  1. Hi Linda-Love all your beautiful photos, your fresh parsley, and zucchini.
    The zucchini hash is soooo good, with the potatoes, and the easy over eggs, which is my very favorite way to make eggs!
    I linked your post, since I'm featuring eggs on the latest!
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Elisabeth! Looks like you've been busy with social media these days! I hope you don't mind - while you were reading this and commenting, I added one last photo of the theatre. Oops, I always forget something. Talk to you soon and hugs back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this hash! I just printed out another recipe for something similar. Perhaps I'll combine the two and see what happens!

    Thanks so much for your lovely comments on my recipe site & blog. Such a coincidence about the sodium! And even funnier yet? I've been asked to contribute to an upcoming NephCure Foundation newsletter! Such a small world. And so happy to meet you. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! I love zucchini and they are coming out the whazoo right now in my garden

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so yummy! Wish we had extra zucchini right now (this year our plant didn't do so hot!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks again Elisabeth, I saw your post http://foodandthriftfinds.blogspot.com/2011/08/farm-fresh-eggsor-egg-lands-best.html. Great omelette, story, and pictures!

    Christy, what a coincidence! I'm so glad to hear that you're contributing to the newsletter also. Can't wait to see your recipe. My recipe will appear in the November newsletter.

    Raven, that's fantastic! The zucchini grew like crazy for me in July, they're dying out now. Hope to see lots of zucchini recipes on your blog soon!

    Thanks Charissa! And sorry to hear about your zucchini. That's what happened to my cucumbers last year and my green beans this year :( Guess you never know what gardens are going to do from year to year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great! I love zucchini! The heat killed my plant this year, but this is a great use for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Erin! Sorry about your plant. I had four plants this year and got lucky with the weather. Had to come up with new ideas for the bounty, in addition to sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know, I have been trying to get in my fill of zucchini these last few weeks as well. They have been slowly dropping at the farmers markets around here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like a great breakfast! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love basic dishes, you know that doesn't involve a lot of standing in the kitchen, and this one is flavorful and sound delicious..by the way I enjoyed looking at your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmmm - I love it with the eggs the next day. Looks delish! Glad you enjoyed your time.... nice to visit your blog -

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Linda!!! I love how you cooked zucchini with potatoes. That's a great idea that I didn't think before. I am a big potato fan and kids love zucchini, so that's a great combination. I have to see if I have celery seeds. If not I will get it for this recipe - sounds like this dish will show up often from now on. ;-) Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos. So nice to live close to the ocean... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me encanta el calabacín de todas maneras, así para acompañar los huevos es una receta ideas

    Abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Javier, so do I! It's so good in many dishes.

    Thanks Nami! And if you don't have celery seed on hand, I think a little fresh celery sauteed with the onions would work if you have that. I wasn't home so it was easier to use the spices available to me. There wasn't any celery at the farm stand or market.

    Hi Megan! Thank you and nice to meet you. The dish went a long way that week!

    Hi Alyssa! Thank you and nice to meet you and thanks for taking the time to comment.

    Thanks Sandra and Clarkie! Looking forward to seeing what you're both whipping up in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks so good for weekend breakfast! We are all zucchini and potato lovers here. :)
    Btw, I love all the photos you shared! They made me miss the Philippines. Going to the beach was a weekly thing for me and my family when I was growing up. But I guess my husband was luckier because their house is by the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh how I laughed when I read this post, Linda. Not at you of course but at myself. Like you, when I get in cooking mode, I just go about it not really paying attention to what and how much. When I first started blogging, I actually put a tape recorder in the kitchen and spoke to it as I was playing "mad" cook. I still have the recordings which of course, I never used anyway.

    Your hash looks delicious and versatile too. Your images are captivating. Ah, if it were only July again.

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is winter here.So I ma just penning down recepies till my garden awakens.What a greta place you have chosen to have a holliday:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish I could be so confident to throw ingredients together and have the dish turn out wonderfully! Your hash looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would have never thought to serve the hash as a side for eggs--but it's perfect. I love the way you intuitively feel your way through cooking, understanding what works with what (ingredients and accompaniments) and how to place it all together. The mark of a professional. ;)

    ReplyDelete