Saturday, July 30, 2011

Cucumber Agua Fresca and a Cucumber Martini

Delightful, delicious, and different!


This cool Cucumber Agua Fresca will be a regular refreshment for our family this summer, especially since we are having a bumper crop of cucumbers this year!


Add a little vodka and it makes a delicious martini as well!



* * *
Cucumber Agua Fresca
From  Put 'em Up!  Sherri Brooks Vinton

Ingredients:
4 cucumbers
1 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar (I used organic cane)
Juice of 1 lime

Method:
Set up a sieve over a bowl (or line a colander with cheesecloth and place over a bowl). Wash, peel, and seed four cucumbers.


Roughly chop, place in a food processor, and puree.

Pour over sieve and let the puree sit for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then lightly press down on the remaining pulp to finish extracting the juice. I used the bottom of a ladle. And give it a little shake.



Pour juice into a pitcher. I poured it through the sieve just to catch some pulp that pushed through. Add water, sugar, and lime juice. Stir until sugar dissolves.


My daughter really liked hers with a splash of seltzer and a little more freshly squeezed lime.



Cucumber Martini
3 ounces Cucumber Agua Fresca
1 1/2 ounces vodka
Ice

To this recipe, we added a splash of seltzer. For one serving, add all ingredients to a shaker and shake to blend.


 ~ * ~


Posted with permission.

18 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this sounds so refreshing..wonderful recipe Lin..I will have to try it when I have guests around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Sandra! And when you try it, let me know how it was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your daughters version for the aqua fresca and the adult beverage version too!! Aren't you creative? Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such perfect, refreshing drinks for our hot summer days! So nice to see you posting again, Linda :). Now it's my turn to be on vacation~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Linda! Great ideas in that book to work from.

    Thank you Lizzy! We're really enjoying it. Happy vacation to you! You must be looking forward to it, you've been working hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you say cucumber martini? I'm coming over for a drink! :-)

    Seriously though - it sounds great, and if here weren't a big ol' ocean in the way I mgiht find an excuse to pop over!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spectacular! We can do cucumbers year round in Cayman and I'm all about juicing them :) Great Agua Fresca and an equally naughty martini!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very refreshing and rich, good way to prepare juice, I liked both, big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cucuber agua fresca, and the amazing martini looks so refreshing, pretty, and yummy!
    Linda, you come up with the best ideas for your recipes...so glad you're back.
    Thanks for sharing!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! Thanks for sharing this, Lin! Both the cucumber agua fresca and martini sounds amazingly refreshing! Will try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just contemplating a refreshing cucumber drink the other day and decided against it. Perhaps, I should reconsider. Your creations look so inviting, I want to swim in that Martini!!!

    Thanks for sharing, Lin Ann...

    P.S. Thank you so much for your comforting words. I'm on the mend, slowly:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all so much! That's why I love her book, in addition to canning it gives other great ideas like this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greetings. This is my first time on your blog, but you have a terrific one. I am always on the look out for new blogs, new ideas. I especially appreciate all the details you do, so many photos makes it seem like anyone can replicate the recipe!

    I am asking, would you please consider posting a few of your favorite recipes on erecipecards.com
    http://erecipecards.com/

    It is a tool for bloggers to see and to be seen. Your posts would fit in perfectly.

    in addition, all photos, recipe titles as well as your blog name would link directly back to your blog. Thus giving you new attention and potentially new readers.

    Or, if you just want to take a look at a lot of fellow food bloggers all in one place. A great learning experience to get ideas about how to establish your own blogging voice!


    Please take a look. If you have any ideas or questions, please do not hesitate to write

    Dave
    http://erecipecards.com/
    Contact@eRecipeCards.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Dave! I will have time next week to look into this - still distracted from my blog a bit while the children are home for summer vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now we are talking, this is what the end of a summer day needs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll take the martini please! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Friday night means I want that martini!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow- that looks like a lot of work, but well worth it. Will you make me a cuke martini?? Soon???!!!

    ReplyDelete