Wednesday, May 25, 2011

White Bean Grilled Panini With Basil, Tomato, And Mozzarella

Bring on the flavors of summer with this delicious grilled panini adapted from A Little Bit Crunchy A Little Bit Rock And Roll's recipe for Provolone White Bean Grilled Panini With Tomato & Basil.


I didn't want to make changes to Jenn's recipe. It sounded great just as it was with white beans, basil, tomato, provolone, mayonnaise and red onions. I could just imagine that creamy blend and looked forward to those flavors.

But when I looked for the provolone at around 7 pm last night it was gone! My little cheese robbers ate it without my knowing. All that was left was fresh mozzarella so I made a little change. The mayonnaise, I thought, would go well with the smokey flavor of provolone but I didn't think so with mozzarella. So I substituted extra virgin olive oil for mayonnaise in this version. I also didn't have a red onion so I used a shallot. However, I'm still thinking about her recipe and can't wait to make it her way. My son would have preferred it also since he loves sandwiches with mayonnaise.

White Bean Grilled Panini With Basil, Tomato And Mozzarella
Ingredients for 4 sandwiches:

1 medium shallot, minced
Between 1/4 -1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
About 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Pepper to taste

1 large tomato, thinly sliced
2 balls of fresh mozzarella, thickly sliced
Italian bread, preferably a grain mix or wheat, sliced

1 can white beans, cannellini or navy, slightly smashed

Mix shallot, basil, oil, and pepper together first and let sit while preparing the rest of the ingredients. Slice tomato, cheese, and bread. Slightly mash beans.


To put this panini together:

Combine oil, shallots, basil, and pepper.


Slice Italian bread and lay slices out on sheet pan. I bought "rustic" Italian bread from the farmers' market over the weekend, thinking it was a grain blend like last week, but it doesn't look that way. I might have grabbed the wrong bag.


Slice tomatoes and cheese. Spread basil mixture over each slice of bread then layer sliced tomatoes over half the bread. Oops! Here is where I should have added the beans. Add beans before the cheese so it helps keep the sandwich together. Don't forget the beans!


Lay down thick slices of mozzarella.


Warm up the grill. Cook over medium heat. Press sandwiches down with a weighted pan. Flip when nice grill marks are achieved.



I can just imagine how amazing this sandwich will taste when my fresh garden tomatoes come in. Can't wait.

To make Jenn's creamy panini go here: http://alittlebitcrunchyalittlebitrock.blogspot.com/2011/05/provolone-white-bean-grilled-panini.html.

28 comments:

  1. I love creative bean recipes! This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this recipe! I am so going to try it. I would never think to put beans in a panini, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another healthy recipe of yours that I'm including in my "recipes-to-try" list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks just as delicious with mozzarella! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. basil, tomato and mozzarella always rocks together.. and this looks like a delicious Panini to me. When it comes to mayo in a sandwich.. it's tough not to like :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll definitely have to try out this combination. I've never thought to but beans on a sandwich either, but I love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use leftovers in the fridge all the time to make unique panini. I keep a good collection of spices in a little rack right next to the fridge and a 'panini press' grill for this.

    Smeelgova Badger-thrower

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, man, do these look fabulous, Linda! I think I need a pannini maker (these would scorch on our charcoal grill) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lin Ann-Loved you cute post about your little "cheese robbers"...put a smile on my face with my little grandchildren.
    Your panini sandwiches look so delcious, and oozing with cheesy goodness.
    In my case, I make panini in my Panini maker...saves the covering with a heavy pan. (all in one process)
    Thanks for sharing:D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for stopping by and for all your compliments! I actually took out my panini maker but at the last minute decided to use the grill since we just cleaned it, finally. I was nervous about burning them too but it all worked out, phew!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow these panini look fabulous with white beans and mozzarella cheese. Like it with lots of basil...so so tasty. Hope you are having a great week Lin Ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lin Ann! WOW if I knew how to cook without panini maker, I didn't have to even buy it (and less storing problem). You are so creative! Or is this a common way? Anyway you mentioned that you also have a panini maker, so I should give this a try! I love this panini! Including white bean is such a great idea. More nutrients to the kids. :-) My daughter is also a cheese robber too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Back again, Lin Ann...so glad you got such a great deal on the White Balsamic Fig Infused vinegar. I also bought this when it was on sale. I bought this one, and the regular White Balsamic Vinegar, as well.
    Incidentally, for me to grill my panini on an actual outdoor grill...I would have to use my daughter's, since living in a condo does eliminate all the fun of grilling. That's why I have my grill pan, and also panini machine handy.
    I do miss the outdoor grill, but I'm not far away...just a few minutes away:D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Nami, no it's not a common way I just grabbed what was nearby to squish those little sandwiches. I never cooked a sandwich before on my grill but thought I'd give it a try. I like my panini maker also, it's so easy. Storage is a problem too so it's on a shelf in the basement, but it's not far from my kitchen.

    Hi Elisabeth, now that's a lot of work! In truth, I think grilling is more work because I have to bring everything out and, much to my husband's dismay ;), I always look for an excuse to cook inside, lol. But, in addition to finally cleaning the grill, it was also a nice day when I made these after a week of rain so it was good to go out and grill. I did get a good laugh, though, after looking at my pictures again and seeing all that stuff on my sandwiches!!! And like Lizzy said, I was worried about burning them too and kept a close eye on them. I'd recommend making these on a panini maker or a grill pan - easier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are hysterical! Looks delish! (don't take the hysterical comment the wrong way)

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK those panini definitely top the ones at the local deli! I love mozzarella and tomatoes ... one of my favorite food combinations in summer. Those beans make an interesting addition. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Invigorating combination, Lin Ann. I can't wait for garden tomatoes either. Just imagine!!! I don't have a panini maker but I'm a whiz at grilled sandwiches. Bookmarked!!!

    P.S. When I was in grade school, my favorite afternoon snack was mayonnaise sandwiches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfect summer treat. Great photos, Lin, that camera's really working out for you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just stopped by again to tell you that you have some awards waiting for you by my fruit salad http://www.gourmetfashion.net/2011/05/spring-fruit-salad-bowl.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Chris! Sorry, to be so late in responding I was away and I'll be stopping by today.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lin Ann! These look FANTASTIC!! I am the process of my monthly meal planning, and this is making the cut for shizzle! :-) This will be perfect for us to make, then take on one of our evening picnics (aka spending the entire evening watching the kids play baseball)!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This panini sandwich sounds so good with the addition of white beans, a must try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now that is a meal!
    Peace and Raw Health,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooooo, this looks so tasty! I'm a sucker for ooey gooey cheesy loveliness! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sandwich is right up my alley. And I live in a legume-loaded, basil-y, tomato-y, and mozzarella-y alley. Yum!

    ReplyDelete