Thursday, March 10, 2011

Chicken, Bean, Vegetable Soup And National Kidney Awareness Month

March is National Kidney Awareness Month.  So why did I tie this soup to National Kidney Awareness Month? Because I made it for my daughter the other day when she didn't feel well. Several hours after getting a fever, she was in excruciating pain with an earache and it wasn't long before we were driving her to urgent care. She has FSGS, a chronic severe kidney disease. Thankfully, she is in clinical remission (with medication). But whenever she gets this sick I worry about relapse.


Ear infections worry me the most because she was diagnosed with FSGS three years ago shortly after she had a horrible, resistant ear infection. Doctors don't know what causes FSGS and don't know if the ear infection had anything to do with it. When there isn't an underlying disease, they believe FSGS is auto-immune based. Naturally, when she was first diagnosed I was searching for answers. I remember thinking, maybe, that infection derailed her immune system.

It also happens to be World Kidney Day. So before I forget about this basic but healthy soup I made the other day, I thought I'd share it today. After all, her kidney disease is mostly the reason for starting my blog. It changed the way we think about food. Food was the only way I could help her other than making sure she took her medicine. We always ate well - I love to cook. But I admit we had some processed foods around. Now, we try darn hard to eat mostly organic fresh food every day. It isn't easy. The food I make doesn't always look fancy. But we are surely nourished.


To make this chicken soup, I broiled chicken thighs in the oven until done.  I broiled it because if I boiled it, the stock would have been fatty (needing refrigerating and skimming) and I wanted to serve the soup right away. Dark meat is good but it's supposedly more nutritious than white meat (plus it's what I had at the time).  I added water for moisture and seasoned the chicken with Mrs. Dash Onion & Herb seasoning.  I learned about Mrs. Dash seasonings when she was placed on a low-sodium diet three years ago.  I use it sometimes for quick flavor. Dried Italian seasoning or herbs de Provence would work well instead.


I cut the chicken into bite size pieces and shredded a little with a fork.


I added what I thought looked like a good amount of chicken to one quart of low-sodium chicken stock, with some frozen peas, frozen corn, and a can of drained no-salt cannellini beans, her favorite (things I usually keep for on hand).  Other vegetables would work, like: broccoli, cauliflower, chopped string beans or asparagus. I cooked the vegetables until just tender and while they still had their color.  I added about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon and, just before serving, some chopped fresh parsley.


I served the soup on a tray with fresh fruit and lots of love!



Here is a link I like to superfoods for healthy kidneys:  http://www.yourkidneys.com/kidney-education/Diet-and-nutrition/15-super-foods-for-kidney-health/2924

www.nephcure.org

22 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear what your daughter went through..it is so hard to watch them get sick even when it is mild cold. Your soup looks amazing, I will try to make it because in my household we love soups. And super food is always welcome here.. I wrote article on yahoo for making your immune system stronger from fresh beets..so good yet healing body like crazy..

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife does 15 bean soup that I absolutely love. Your soup looks really good too.
    I licked the screen, but I got nothing. I'll be glad when technology advances a little more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sanda, thank you. Fresh beets and immunity - I love fresh beets and with their intense color, I'll bet they are a fantastic antioxidant. Please send me the link and in the meantime I'll try to look it up.

    Life 101 - no kidding, sometimes I wish I could taste the food. We need lollipop screens! 15 bean soup - I don't think I could even name 15 beans. Please share the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This soup sounds delicious! I hope that it's helping your daughter ... I am sorry that she had to go through all that. Sending her get well wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry about your daughter--has to be sooo nerve racking.
    What a great meal.
    Peace and Raw Health,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic post!! I love the way that soup looks. I might just have to make one more pot of soup before I move on to grilled dinners every night. You know with our warmer weather and all I'll be outside grilling. This looks delicious and I love the way you just used what you had on hand. WHOO HOO!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chicken soup looks very nice :) I'm sick so I would love some now..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am getting back to you about that link..
    Hope that you like it..
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5959160/juice_from_beets_healthy_and_natural.html?cat=5

    Have a wonderful night!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much, Sandra :D, I'll read it today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for the well wishes! She's feeling much better and only missed one day of school.

    Medeja, I hope you feel better soon! I wish I could make some soup for you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great article, Sandra. I've bookmarked it in my healing foods folder and will try the recipe. I'm glad you mentioned organic! I went strictly organic when she was first diagnosed to give her kidneys a break from toxins and heal (we still eat organic). I further researched beets and they not only have great antioxidants and detox properties, but are anti-inflammatory too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful looking soup! I can almost taste it . . . and it sounds like you've been on one learning curve. Good stuff we all could benefit from. You are taking wonderful care of your daughter, your family, your self.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Boy, that Hayley has a wonderful mom. And I really believe you've played a big part in her remission by vigilantly cooking up the healthiest foods for your family. That's not always an easy task!
    The soup looks great - and the dark meat is the tastiest!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lin Ann,
    Thank you so much for dropping by...I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. Shopping & Cooking organically can certainly be challenging. I'm glad someone knew about the beets. I'm going to check some of my herbals books for any other kidney related info.

    Your soup sounds like a nutritious belly warmer. Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great dish, looks and sounds great !

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi Lin Ann

    It breaks my heart hearing about your daughter, I hope she is feeling better.....that soup was made with good ingredients and love, that has to help.....and thank you for letting us know about kidney awareness month.
    heres to a better week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Louise, if you find something interesting let me know. I'm always looking too, and every bit of information helps!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you all again for your well wishes and concern. Hayley's ear is feeling normal now. And, being in remission for a year is a great sign, indicating that her body is stronger. She's still on medication, though, and we are beginning to wean her from immunosuppressants, so I worry.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nothing better than a bowl of hot and nourishing soup in the cold weather like we have now !

    ReplyDelete
  20. This just makes me feel like I could be snuggled up at home on my couch enjoying something like this. Just delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Una sopa muy buena,yo soy una fanática de las sopas y de pollo mucho mejor y tienes razón los muslos son mejores y contienen más nutrientes,la comida casera es lo mejor y restringirse de las grasas.
    Una madre preocupada es oro,siento lo de tu hija ,pero ella estará bien con tu apoyo y la buena alimentación que tú le das,abrazos ,no quiero escaparme de tus recetas por lo que quiero tenerte bien cerca en mi lista,una maravilla es tú blog,cariños.

    ReplyDelete