Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Warm Maple Syrup Pie And A Visit To Fadden's Sugarhouse

Warm and sweet and topped with a generous dollop of creamy ice cream, this maple syrup pie is perfect any time of the year. But just imagine how wonderful it would taste early in spring when nights are cold and days are turning warmer. When sap freely runs down the trunks of bare maple trees. A race before their buds emerge. The image is always on our minds during maple sugaring season. So is the smell when the comforting scent of maple sugar permeates the air around our favorite sugarhouse. No time is wasted getting each new season's fresh batch of liquid gold to our table.




Fadden's Sugarhouse
Even though I'm a little late in the season to post my visit to Fadden's Sugarhouse, I want to share my experience anyway. We met Jim Fadden three years ago at his General Store and we absolutely love the Fadden family's award-winning maple syrup. They've been making maple syrup the old-fashioned way since the mid-1800s and upgraded in the mid-1900s for commercial production. It wasn't until this year, in late March, that I finally visited the Sugarhouse. I missed the maplefest but, lucky me, I got a private tour! The tour wasn't planned so I only had my blackberry to take photos with, but they came out pretty good.

This galvanized bucket is used as an indicator only.
It shows that sap wasn't running on the day of my visit because it was too cold.
Galvanized buckets are no longer used here to harvest sap.
A slice of wood from a fallen tree shows tap holes.
The dark tap hole, lower left, shows how the tree sealed itself.
This sophisticated system removes water from the sap
making boiling more efficient

The grade scale


Early season and late season syrup.
The late season syrup is sold to companies
as a flavoring.
The filtering system

State-of-the-art food-grade stainless steel evaporator 
My tasting sample right out of the evaporator put a big smile on my face!
The drive to the maple trees
Currently 7,000 trees are tapped


The Norman Rockwell inspired window display
at Fadden's General Store and Sugarhouse,
North Woodstock, NH
Jim Fadden painting his self-portrait.
He always has various creative displays throughout the year.
(Photo courtesy of Jim Fadden)

Pattie Noel and Nola Clark, daughter of Murray Clark
(Clark's Trading Post),
designed the window display at Fadden's General Store
(Photo courtesy of Jim Fadden)



Maple Syrup Pie Recipe

From Vermont Life magazine and created by Lara Atkins, pastry chef and co-owner of The Kitchen Table Bistro in Richmond, VT 

1 9 inch pie crust, pre-baked
1 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp fine salt
1 1/2 cups maple syrup, grade B is suggested
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 stick (8 tbsp) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
3 eggs

For this recipe, I used a 10 inch non-stick tart pan with a removable bottom and a pre-made pie crust. I'm sorry! I promise that one day I will make my own!  I just happened to have one in the freezer and wanted to save time.

Start by pre-baking the pie crust in a pre-heated 300 degree oven. While it cooks, whisk flour and salt together in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, beat eggs. Over medium heat, bring maple syrup and cream up to a boil. Boil for about 20 seconds. Remove from heat and stir in butter pieces until they completely melt. 

Make a slurry by adding a few tablespoons of the warm maple-cream mixture to the flour and salt. When combined, pour in the remaining maple-cream mixture and whisk until combined. 

Before adding eggs, temper them by adding a little of the maple-cream mixture into the beaten eggs. Whisk and when they feel about room temperature, pour beaten eggs into maple-cream mixture and whisk to combine. 

Pour the maple-cream filling into the warm pre-baked pie crust. Bake about 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown and the center is set. Serve warm or at room temperature with a dollop of your favorite ice cream, whipped cream or creme fraiche. I used Creme Caramel ice cream.



23 comments:

  1. My goodness, that pie looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum I can just see that wonderful maple syrup over my pancakes :) Your pie looks lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post Lyn Ann! Thank you so much for the maple syrup tour. I truly enjoyed it as I don't know when/if I can get a tour like that! Very educational. And of course your pie is amazing. Your description in the first paragraph was so well that I didn't even need to see the pictures. I want one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post. Your tart looks delicious and I really enjoyed the tour you gave us. This is my first visit to your site but I'll definitely be back. You've created a really interesting place for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post! Your pie looks delicious especially with the ice cream on top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Que rico pastel con el jarabe y el helado se ve goloso una verdadera delicia,cariños y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds amazing!!! I love the picture with the ice cream melting away!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's pure deliciousness!! The pie sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being from New England, this pie is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of maple syrup pie before, but with fresh maple syrup and cream, it's got to be wonderful! My FIL loves anything maple...I should bake this the next time my inlaws visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post. I love the pictures. The pie is a new one for me. I am sure I would love it, even if I can't get the high quality maple sugar you have access to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for following me, and I love your blog!
    Maple syrup pie sounds so very good, thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pie is gorgeous and sounds and looks so delicious! Great informative photos too! Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds amazing!!! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pie sounds really great and the photo is also shouting out...yummy.I never thought of maple syrup before.. how its done and where does it come from..thanks a lot for sharing this post.I always love the history/story behind a product or a dish. have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I loved reading this post! Thanks! And that pie recipe looks delish! I think my husband would eat the whole pie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks and sounds delicious!! I love anything with maple syrup, but this is a great dessert with maple syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maple syrup pie? I've never heard of it, but it sounds GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The maple syrup pie sounds amazing, I've never had one like that and sure would love to try! And the tour of the sugarhouse is fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for your comments!! And this looks wonderful! I love maple syrup . . . am bookmarking it! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. The ice cream on top is what really got to me! nom!

    ReplyDelete