Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Really Nice Small Businesses to Shop this Season, and Anytime!


12/1/11: I'm sad to say that Wrentham Antiques Marketplace closed in June 2011
Wrentham Antiques Marketplace
on Rte 1A in Wrentham Massachusetts, Wrentham Antiques Marketplace, is my all time favorite place to shop, visit and chat with owners and friends, Kathy and Chuck, and if they're not there, with Jane who is always friendly and helpful.  And, often, I get to chat with antique-curious customers who make the short trek like I do to browse the many unique items . . .
Enter the marketplace . . .
I am charmed . . . 
I start thinking how I'd like my house to look  




This looks cozy
Stunning vintage glassware for gracious entertaining
I can never wait to get to the vintage clothing area and start trying on hats and things
I chose this vintage pearly dress to wear in some creative way over the holidays
More fun accessories to choose from
And if you're not sure what to make for the holidays, this vintage Hoosier's cabinet has it listed for you. Why reinvent the wheel!
Well-crafted furniture that becomes a conversation piece in your home
Well worn furniture that begs you to touch and you can almost hear age-old stories
An old fashioned Christmas

Kitschy salt and pepper shakers - adorable!  And made in the USA.  (I bought these for my sister who I know will get the biggest kick out of them!)
A unique Chinese basket





Hidden treasures
You're Welcome!  And thank you for providing local jobs, fine quality local products and services, and a great shopping experience, always!


















My expedition continued a few miles north on Rte 1A into Norfolk, Ma, to a lovely shop, With Heart and Hand



"A home furnishings store with an upscale country look."  There a several rooms full of country primitive and country chic furniture, decorative items, everyday ware, hardware, a large chic boutique with jewelry, accessories, clothing and there's a home decorating area upstairs with homespun decorator fabrics. 

Right next door is the Eagle Brook Saloon.  A nice place for lunch.  (Another great place for lunch if I didn't want to head north so quickly, is Cafe Assisi, a small quaint Italian bistro, right near Wrentham Antiques at the intersection of Rtes 1A and 121, just off of Rte 495.)

Turning around, I headed back, south, and stopped at the charming Wrentham center.  

Here, there is a fun shop for ladies called Bambi's.  The store is being remodeled so selections were limited, but I picked up a few novelty item stocking stuffers and at 50% off.

Next door is mmm-Marcia's Sweet Pantry. 
She makes cakes, pies, and dessert trays to order.  Sells chocolates, candy, teas and other goodies.  I picked up pumpkin whoopie pies and assorted "turtles".
I'm stopping by before Christmas to pre-order a chocolate "gingerbread-looking" house filled with assorted chocolate goodies.  If it's anything like the easter egg we ordered a few years ago, it's sure to be a hit

That was it for the day.  But if I had started earlier, I would have turned up Pine Swamp Road in Cumberland, Rhode Island, from Rte 121 and stopped at:

Pine Swamp Place for a look at Arlene's awesome silk floral arrangements in swags and wreaths, assorted country gifts and wares, snowmen, candles and charming ornaments.  

Then, I would have headed down Wrentham Road toward Mendon Road, still in Cumberland, RI.   A right takes me to With Heart and Soul, a lovely boutique with Pandora, John Madeiros and other brand name jewelry, Vera Bradley, Brighton, chic clothing and accessories, entertaining ware and much more. Although, I shopped there last week and found this cool bag made from seat belts!

And, If I really wanted to cap the day in style, drinks and dinner next door at Andrew's Bristro.  Here is a picture of a delicious scallop dinner I had there this summer:




3 comments:

  1. Just you: this is wonderful information to have. With so many big boxes out there, the little guy is often forgotten. Shop local, shop the mom and pops, and grow your local economy is a really sound philosophy.
    Nice blog - keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. You are now on my Blogs I Follow list, under my blog profile. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jayne! Sorry about all the awkward spacing. I can't, or rather don't know how to, fix it!

    ReplyDelete